Julia Farwell-Clay of Takoma fame came to The Spinning Loft with Kelly (who makes those spinning wheel cup holders that are on every wheel you see) for a Dream Wheel Weekend.

On Friday night Julia gave a talk with slide show that expanded on her wheel maker article in the most recent Spin Off.

It was called “I’m Not Dead Yet” or Custom Wheel Makers Alive and Well in North America. It was fun and informative and just primed the pump for what happened on Saturday.

We got to spin on a whole bunch of wheels by custom wheel makers. Yes, we did. I have the proof in pictures.

Alden Amos wheel - thank you for the loan Marcy!

Reeves Norwegian

Pat Russo wheel

Jenson Production Wheel

Jensen Gossip Wheel - Kelly spinning 2 singles at once

Watson Norwegian

Sasha spinning on the Watson

Carson Cooper Sierra

Julia helping Erica adjust the Cooper

Magnus Drudik 28" Castle Wheel - I tried to keep it, but Kelly said no

It was an amazing experience! I fell deeply in love with the Drudik wheel, the Cooper and the Watson. Thanks to Julia and Kelly for sharing their treasured wheels with us.

10 Responses to Spinning Tuesdays: Dream Wheel Weekend

1. Meg says:

Kelly spinning 2 singles at once!!! who is this Kelly, why? Was it a dare? were they nice singles? I want to see them!
    It looks like heaven to me. I’m sulking… for a little…then I will dust off the Lendrum and get out something yummy. Tuesday is definitely for spinning

2. […] See what Jillian says about it on the Knitty Blog here […]

3. Louise says:

I am so jealous! I really really want to learn to spin on a wheel. I was recently gifted an old Haldane, but i’ve been told i need a larger diametre wheel to learn on. Can’t wait to try!

4. Brandi says:

I’m jealous you got the chance to try so many different wheels. After that I may have to hit up something big to try that many wheels.

Wow. The idea of spinning two singles at once sounds great, like an extra help for the same people who need to knit both sleeves at the same time!

6. Mary Shue says:

What an experience!! I have a Ron Rees Saxony wheel. He was a wheel maker in the Monroe, MI area. I’m not sure if he’s still around or not. The drive wheel is held on with a whale’s tooth. It looks like walnut to me. Looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for posting the pictures.

7. Jennifer says:

You mean people actually make custom wheels. *jaw drops* Who knew? I’m defiantly researching into a custom made wheel to put into my “I wish/when I inherit a million dollars from a previous unknown, distant, and most likely insane realitive list”. I’ve secretly wanted a spinning wheel since I started knitting (shhhhh don’t tell anyone, I just managed to convince my loved ones that a spindle was a good idea and don’t want to break the wheel dream for at least another 2 to 3 years), and I know I will eventually, sometime in the distant future, after I get a job (if, more like these days) to acquire a wheel a dream that will most likely be 2-5 years in the making. In the meantime, I live vicarously off of Spinning Tuesday Knittyblog enteries and super-secret late night online drooling/window shopping.

Okay…so I’m weird!

8. Heather says:

What a dream of a weekend. I am considering a wheel. I use a drop spindle right now and wonder if I really need one LOL! getting to tryout all those wheels look like a great time was had by all.

9. Adrienne says:

What practical works of art! Looks like it was a fun time for all too.

10. Rosiland says:

I knew Julia way back when and am so stoked she designed Takoma! (We’ve reconnected, FYI, or IYC) So to see her on the knittyblog is just insane goodness!

Not a spinner — how can I make a dent in my stash? But this is a very cool thing to know — custom-made wheels.

Happy Thanksgiving!