It started in August.

During Deb Menz’s class at The Spinning Loft I noticed a fleece. A Babydoll Southdown, short, fine and sproingy bouncy. Unwashed it was the color of spilled pepper. When I washed a lock or two it turned to a gorgeous taupey brown.

I decided against buying it because, well, I have other fleeces just sitting and waiting for me.

But this fleece has been on my mind for months! During the Dream Wheel Weekend I couldn’t stand it anymore. I bought the whole thing, almost four pounds.

I washed and carded some right away.

Washed Babydoll Southdown

I even remembered from my spinning along with Deb Robson’s Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook, not to over wash the fleece.

Springy!

I carded it on my Patrick Green Deb’s Delicate Deluxe drumcarder. I ran it through four times.

All ready to spin

I’m not sure what I want to make with it. I have an idea about a cabled shawl. Woolen spun of course.

What do I want to be?

I’m going to start spinning and swatching soon.

Now you can listen to me go on about spinning

I will be a little bit busier in the future and I am so excited about it!  I am joining Sasha at the SpinDoctor podcast. Starting in December, I’ll be talking with her about what we’re both spinning and I’ll be doing an interview or two. More time to obsess over spinning.

Come over and give us a listen!

11 Responses to Spinning Tuesdays: I Bought a Fleece and Something I’m Excited About

1. Mary Shue says:

I think that Sasha and you will make a fabulous duo! I’m really looking forward to the next podcast.

2. Aimee says:

I listen to several knitting ‘casts, & the other day i was listening to one while sponning. DH said, “You know, I bet someone has a spinning podcast. You should find one!”

Thank you, Jillian. I believe I found The One!

3. Tanya says:

Very cool!
    I enjoy your podcasts by the way :)

Tanya

4. Rita says:

1) This is amazingly gorgeous. A cabled shawl would be stunning. 2) It is inspiring me to dye the Targhee X top I have been hoarding for eons that is now on the work table. It will be soaking shortly. Now to decide the color.

5. leesy says:

I have some downstairs, about the same color. I’d love to get to it soon.

6. Meg says:

Yummy, looks like wonderful spinning, and so ideal for cables.

7. Janice says:

Congratulations! I’m adding SpinDoctor to my playlist right now.

8. I don’t know how you were able to wait so long to buy it. I agree that it would make a very beautiful cabled shawl.

9. Jeanie says:

Handsome fleece–I love the magic that washing unleashes. Thanks for the heads up on the Spin Doctor! How much fun this winter is going to be..

10. Brandi says:

I can’t wait to see what you do with it. As my own lovley baby llama fleece calls to me,”soon, my precious ,soon”.

11. jacey boggs says:

word up! you are smart, you are pretty, and you know spinning!