I’m getting right on my 2012 spinning goals by choosing fiber – that’s the best part isn’t it?

I’ve chosen this to start making friends with worsted spinning.

Spunky Eclectic Peace On Earth

A club fiber from Spunky Eclectic, South African Fine in the colorway Peace on Earth. I’m going for a 2 ply, DK or a little fatter.

For sweater knitting I have this

Southern Cross Fibre Dirt

Southern Cross Fibre Falkland, colorway Dirt. I’m going to spin a woolen 2-ply, with probably a little extra ply twist.

I’ve even started sample spinning

Southern Cross Fibre Falkland

It’s looking a little too contrasty for me, but I’m going to spin more, a little finer and knit swatches.

How are your goals coming?

7 Responses to Spinning Tuesdays: Getting Started on Spinning Goals

1. Jennifer says:

I’m loving spinning my Peace on Earth.

Glad to see your a fellow Spunky Junkie.

2. Andrea H says:

I love the color ways you have. especially the peace on earth.

3. susan says:

get all my phatfibre samples spun knit a sweater!

4. Michelle says:

I love the sample spinning of the southern cross fibre falkland. I think the contrast is nice, marking with those colors reminds me if lots of wonderful things, like chocolate and caramel or hot cocoa, or puppies and kittens.

5. Louise Boutot says:

I made a resolution to use up a lot of my stash, however I find that I have become a yarn snob. I so don’t like some of the older wools and none of the acrylics I have. What to do, what to do?!

6. Iris says:

I love the Dirt colorway, but I would find that a bit too contrasty as well. So I’d agree on trying to spin it finer and adding another ply, or I’d try mixing up the colors by breaking the roving apart somehow. That could be done by running it through a drum carder (I did that recently and the color became almost TOO uniform), OR tearing it into very fine strips and placing contrasting strips next to each other as you spin, OR making little piles of torn roving which include a mix of colors and spinning them from the fold.

This playing with colors is exactly what I’d like to try more of this year.

7. Maureen says:

I have been planning on using some downtime, while recuperating from a knee replacement, to reread Judith’s Gentle Art of Plying, this time trying each of the techniques at the wheel as I read, rather than relying on my memory to knit them together after I’ve finished the book.