Gorgeous, no?

Like every other knitter on the entire planet, I fell hard for the wonder that is Clapotis.

Did you know that there are over 18,000 Clapotis projects on Ravelry?

(It’s pronounced clap-o-tea, BTW, with the emphasis on “tea”.)

And like many other knitters, I’ve made more than one.  But my first will always be the one I love the best.

I acquired the yarn in a trade.  And I am quite sure that I got the better end of that deal.

I got 8 skeins of a long-discontinued Noro yarn, Sarubia.  It’s 60% silk, 40% Kid Mohair and I love love love love love it. (You probably saw that coming.  It’s Noro and it’s got silk and mohair in it.  How could I not?)  It’s a slubby, very wooly sort of blend, not at all like the Kidsilk-alike sorts of blends you often see.

And the color is tremendous: much more subtle than many of the Noro yarns. It reminds me, in the best possible way, of gasoline in a puddle. The background is an espresso brown, and there are stripes of a pale watery grey, a pale watery green and a pale watery pink.  There’s an iridescence to the colors, coming from the silk.

I traded 4 balls of a plain worsted weight wool in a solid dark green.  It’s a great yarn, and my friend said it was just what she wanted for a felted bag.  But come on! I got the world’s most beautiful Clapotis, and she got a green felted bag.

15 Responses to What I’ve Knitty-ed: Clapotis

1. Saan says:

I’ve wanted to try Clapotis for a while… But I’m scared of intentionally dropping stitches.

• Maureen says:

Don’t me scared. It is a great knit and not difficult at all. In the case of the Clapotis all the hype is true.

2. Sara L says:

Ooooh! My sis gave me two skeins of that EXACT yarn. I’ve been wondering what to do with it. Now I’m inspired to turn it into a skinnier Clapotis.

Don’t fear the stitch dropping! Go ahead and try it; you only have to knit a few inches to discover it will all be okay.

3. Deb says:

Hello, I’m quite new to knitting so am one of the few who had not come across this before, so I wanted to thank you for bloggin about it! I love this pattern so much – can’t wait to try it! :-)

4. Maureen says:

Funny you should mention the Clapotis. I have made three so far and am about to do a fourth as my mother has requested that I make her one. My first is also my favorite though it comes with a sad story. I made it out of Noro Silk Garden for a friend who was diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately she did not make it and the Clapotis came back to me. I cherish it for my friend and for itself.

5. Lauren says:

I love my clapotis (plural) too! I’m actually wearing my skinny version today and received a compliment on it. Dropping the stitches is like a naughty bit of knitting fun.

6. Beverly says:

I wear my Clapotis ALL the time. My favorite finished knit!

7. Adriene says:

I’ve knit this and it’s my favourite keep-me-warm-at-work shawl! It was the first time I’d dropped stitches, and it was actually quite a liberating experience. Don’t knit it with aluminum needles, though… too frustrating to get the first few rows going on them.

8. Ahh, yes, you have my attention! I may have to try knitting one myself!!!

9. antbee says:

It’s in my queue, at the top!

10. SuzieL says:

I have knitted three of them so far and there may be more in my future, but the correct pronunciation emphasizes the LAST syllable, as in ‘clapoTIS’ (final s is silent).
    Lots of smiles and please, post about entrelac so people can be taught not to pronounce the final c. (Lots more smiles).

11. quiltyknitwit says:

Yours is lovely! I’ve made 2 from Silk Garden & love wearing them – so pretty & cozy.

12. Kate says:

Thanks to Suzie L (translator and linguist) for the correction on the pronunciation. Fixed!

13. Brandi says:

Clapotis is very pretty. I finally just did a calorimetry so I’m behind the loop as well.

I like the look of the Clapotis, but I haven’t made one yet. I know I’m not the only knitter to not make one, but sometimes it feels like it!