Tomorrow I leave for Madrona, the high holy fiber arts retreat/playtime.

I’ve saved money for two years to be able to go and I am quite excited, like the days before your birthday when you are 6, excited.

I’ll be there late Wednesday and I leave mid-day Sunday. So far I have packed 5 knitting projects and 2 spinning projects. I thin I’m a little light.

Here are the classes I’m taking:

• Photographing your Fiber with Franklin
  • EPS System with Amy Detjen
  • Handcarding with Carol Rhoades
  • Recycled Yarn with Judith McKenzie

I have left Friday completely open, no classes – nothing, just playing/knitting/spinning time and shopping. Any tips on eating/playing/shopping in Tacoma are appreciated!

Did you notice I have a spinning class? That means I’ll have to take a wheel. So far, I’ve been a fan of the Schacht Sidekick as a travel wheel – it slides into tiny spaces when my car is packed.

But I really love this:

Sidekick in suitcase

That’s a 27″ Samsonite wheelie suitcase – look at all of the room left over. I can even bring clothes.

I borrowed the suitcase from Beth – the Sidekick Suitcase Saga is here on her blog.

Tune in next week for the Madrona report.

7 Responses to Spinning Tuesdays: Packing for Madrona or a Sidekick in a Suitcase

1. zenitude says:

HOw lucky…I look forward to reading your Madrona report!

2. Renee Anne says:

I do love Amy Detjen. She’s hilarious. And Carol Rhoades is lovely, too. I took a sock knitting class from her at Wisconsin Sheep & Wool a couple years ago (while I was very pregnant – so it worked out well since we were making baby socks).

I’ve been debating taking a class from Franklin Habit but I don’t think I’m going to be able to for a couple more years…

I’m kinda jealous that you’re doing fun things.

3. jacey boggs says:

lady, I’m so sorry I’m not there the year that you are going. We’d have mad good times! Damn. Have lots of fun and drop my name a few times, okay? Lol.

xoxo,
    j

4. Leslie M says:

You’ll love Madrona! I’m looking forward to my classes this year, but even better is the time just hanging out, meeting up and shopping.

5. Annie J says:

Some of my favorite places to eat and drink in Tacoma: The Parkway Tavern, The (Harmon) Hub and the Old Milwaukee Cafe (breakfast).

This Thursday is also third Thursday which means there is an art walk and the History Museum, Art Museum and Museum of Glass (both easy walking from the hotel) are free from 5-8p!

If you have a car check out Point Defiance Park.

6. Colleen says:

My hitchhiker looks rather like that in my suitcase, only my suitcase is 20 inches!

7. Emme J says:

If you like pizza, The Rock is on Jefferson Ave in Tacoma. I think it’s open until midnight. If you want to check out some of the local rock scene, Hell’s Kitchen is a cozy venue.

Don’t just hang out in Tacoma, though. Go check out Pike Place Market in Seattle. There are some great vendors all over the place. Visit the aquarium, and the Science Center. Most importantly, you have to go to Dick’s Drive In for a burger and shake.