Best project ever?

Godzilla is a giant lizard, yes?

I am rather a fan of the Lizard Ridge blanket. It’s the FO I’d save from a house fire. As a rabid lover of Noro, I believe it’s a masterwork, using 24 different colorways of my beloved Kureyon.

And remember I said that I hadn’t figured out what to do with that bag of Noro Hitsuji, the new-ish bulky weight Noro yarn?

Well, thanks to Jennifer at The Purple Purl, I think I found the answer: a Godzilla Ridge!

If you work the Lizard Ridge square pattern almost exactly as written (skipping the very first and very last rows of the square, as the yardage is a bit tight) on 8mm needles with the Hitsuji, you get a square that is about 18 inches across. (If worked in the yarn as written, the squares are 10 inches across.)

6 squares will make a blanket that is 36 inches wide and 54 inches long, not that much smaller than the original 42 x 64 inch 24-square version.

Genius!

Love!

22 Responses to Godzilla Ridge?

1. Kim says:

OMG. Totally gorgeous. I’d go back in after that blanket too. I love Noro and I like that Lizard Ridge square. Beautiful.

2. Ruby says:

Honestly I would go through the window to pull out my yarn stash in case of fire til I could not get anymore.

Cannot wait to see picks of the finished version. Enjoy a long weekend of knitting.

3. So I gather one ball makes one square? Great idea!…..mmm Wonder if my yarn shop has any on stock….

4. OOOh! Guess what – This yarn is on sale by the bag (10 skeins) at

5. Maureen says:

I saw this at The Purl last week and was equally gobsmacked at the awesomeness. Starting calculating right away. Only problem is that there is a lack of extensive colour choice at the moment. Perhaps that will change soon.

I have been puttering away on the Kureyon version for years now and have only knitted up 9 squares, one of which is in an unfortunate Double Bubble kinda colourway. Yikes.

It is such a lovely blankie, maybe its time to pick it up again. Must answer to the call of the Kureyon.

6. Debbi says:

Love the Purple Purl the girls are fab!!!

7. ohdessa says:

That is so awesome!! I really like Hitsuji.

8. Connie H says:

I’m currently doing the Lizzy Ridge, I’ve finished 8 blocks. This also looks wonderful. The Lizzy Ridge just mesmerized me & I thought I need that challenge. I hope I love it as much when I’m done & get it together.

9. Jamie says:

I made Lizard Ridge when it was first published. Shocked myself by finishing it (including several rows of garter stitch on each edge to prevent curling) in less than a month. My daughter (the recipient) said everyone in her dorms tried to borrow it.

It is still one of my favorite FO’s.

I love the idea of a Gozilla Ridge. I don’t have any Hitsuji, but I do have full bags of Iro and Kochoran. Anybody have an idea how those might work up?

10. Jackie C says:

WEBS has Kogarashi (51% silk and 49% wool, 3.5 st/in) on sale for $10.99/ball — I just ordered enough to make my my own Lizard Ridge. I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

11. Denise~ says:

Splendid!

I think I’d curl up in that chair, just where it’s placed, and snuggle be completely happy for hours. (note to self – must buy more Noro)

12. TRicia says:

WOW this is fantabulistic! I am loving it!

13. Catherine says:

the lizard ridge pattern is so gorgeous – love it in both colourways, quite understand how you would save it from the fie. I have some Norro in my stash (who doesn’t!!) and feel like rushing off right now to begin my own blanket

14. Lisa Barrett says:

That colorway is magnificent – excellent choice!

15. Eileen S. says:

really really lovely…i may have to try it myself

16. Gillian says:

I do love the colours of Noro! Spectacular!!

17. Kim says:

Cannot wait to check out the other colours available…I have a grandson due in July…could be his favourite blankie!!!

18. Cyndy Landers says:

Spectacular!!!! I want one now!!! How many skeins are you using?

I love the idea of a Godzilla version, though I would expect that you would knit it to the same number of squares for a truly Godzilla level blanket.

20. Kathy says:

Okay, I don’t like noro, but that is an awesome looking square!

21. box without a bottom that has a screened door on top. This is one solution to my dilemma. An article I read on the internet had other great suggestions. One of the recommendations was to plan

22. Dude this blog rules i cant believe i finally found what i was looking for, thanks bro.