I make a lot of plans. I like to plan. I even have a job where I help other people make plans. When I plan and do it right I find I have a whole lot more time to do other things, and I find I work more creatively all around. For me a plan is nothing more than a map of where I want to go, what I want to get done.

What to spin?

I haven’t been planning for spinning, so I’m not getting as much done as I’d like to. Part of my problem is that I want my spinning to live in the land of spontaneity, to only spin when I’m moved to spin, 100% inspiration. Nice thought, but that’s not how to get lots of things accomplished.

When will have time?

The other part of my problem is what happens when something you love becomes your job. Yes, it is wonderful and I wouldn’t trade it for any other job, but it is still work. With work, for me, comes a certain bratty stubbornness on some days that says, “I don’t wanna” and a certain amount of procrastination. I know it’s silly, but there it is.

I am determined to get get a hold of my spinning and get more done.

So I’m going to plan for my spinning.

Enough fiber to make a yurt

My spinning has two categories right now:

Deadline spinning – spinning for Knittyspin, spinning for this blog, spinning for SpinDoctor, spinning to knit for patterns.

Non-ish Deadline Spinning – spinning for 2012 Goals, practicing things I’ve learned in classes, holiday gift spinning, spinning for classes I want to teach and general experimenting.

This week I’m going to decide what I’m going to spin for April and May, leaving wiggle room for emergency deadlines and just play spinning.

What will I make?

The what and the date due for Deadline Spinning are pretty much set, but the when is what I need to focus on, giving myself more time than I usually do to spin with intention. All is up for grabs for Non Deadline Spinning, but I need to limit myself here on the what or I’ll feel overwhelmed by what is supposed to be relaxing and fun.

It may sound really restricting to plan like this, but for me it’s very freeing. I don’t constantly have to remember deadlines and I know what my next choices are. Because there are always choices.

Where do I start?

Remember I think about all of this like using a map* on a road trip. I know where I want to get and by when, Deadline Spinning is strictly interstate driving and Non Deadline Spinning is blue highway driving, maybe even some dirt roads. Everything that happens between start and finish is the fun part.

How to you plan to get spinning done?

* I still use maps for everything. I have a GPS, but I argue with it – not enough options and not a big enough picture.

8 Responses to Spinning Tuesdays: How Do You Plan for Spinning?

1. amy says:

Plan, schman. I spin when the mood strikes and when I need to make room for more fiber ;)

2. Theressa says:

Pick fiber in first picture, bottom right. I’d love to see how that spins up.

3. JJ says:

I don’t spin, but I do like the plan idea. I might use it for my knitting. And as far as maps go, I totally agree. I can’t stand blindly following a GPS and never really knowing where I am. Give me a map any day.

4. Rose says:

You really struck a chord with me! I’m doing some planning right now for my stash yarn and it seems to really help–less wasted time trying to figure out what to knit with what yarn. By doing the planning in chunks, I can just jump right into the next project! And totally get the “i don’t wanna” mindset. Odd, but true. Thanks for a great post.

5. Angela says:

I always plan my spinning projects! If I don’t have a plan I get very overwhelmed because there is so much I want to do. I have a list of 2012 goals/projects that I consult first. I also have a few spin-alongs that I like to participate in as well. I’ve already crossed off 3 techniques from my list this year: spin from a batt, navajo ply on a spindle, navajo ply on a wheel.

I love having a plan since it gives me direction and a purpose with my spinning. The hardest thing is finding time so I actually schedule my spinning & knitting time so I can dedicate exactly the amount of time to each that I want. Sometimes it’s 50/50 but if I have a project that I want done sooner I have no problem changing the split.

I’m currently working through all these lists and my stash to figure out my Tour de Fleece goals. I know it’s 3 months away but if I plan now I won’t have any problems getting started in July and I won’t be disappointed with what I accomplish :)

6. I don’t spin (strictly knit / crochet), but that mouthwatering array of fiber there almost makes me want to try. Planning works for me with my job but I’ve never tired it for my hobbies. I like spontaneity there. that said. I AM going to finish the 15 uncompleted objects i dug out sometime this year.

7. robyn says:

Last summer I set aside a month where I made myself sit down and plan out each yarn from dying to prep to spinning before I started. Going into my spinning project with a proper intention improved my spinning more than anything I have ever tried. I still occasionally will sit down with a lump of fiber and just go, but for the most part all of my yarns are planned.

8. Brandi says:

I plan some for blogging and selling but I also have a personal stash that is just for my fun.