On a recent family shopping trip to Hua Xing Asia Market I found a fantastic fleece washing set up.

The store had a bunch of big plastic bowls and colanders that fit together perfectly .

There were many colors, I chose this springy combo

I chose an 18″ bowl and a 15″ colander

Perfect fit

This set up would be good for up to 6, maybe 8 ounces of fleece, depending on how dirty it is.

This is 7 ounces of dry Babydoll Southdown

I use Unicorn Power Scour for washing fleece, and for some fibers I use Unicorn Fiber Rinse in the last rinse.

4 oz soaking with plenty of room for more

The best part about my new washing set up? Total cost $6!

What spinning tools have you found in an unexpected place?

10 Responses to Spinning Tuesday: New Fleece Washing Bowl

1. Those are brilliant! Nice find.

2. Teresa says:

I was looking for a sweater dryer on ebay to dry washed fleece, and found a wonderful thing to dry fleece in. It is a “herb” lol cryer. See the link to see why it is funny!

3. Diane says:

A salad spinner is a nice little tool to have…spins out small amounts of fiber, yarn and items so that they’re almost dry.

4. Bonnie says:

Nice! I don’t spin, but I knit. I bought a little zippered makeup bag that I use to carry my stitch markers, yarn needles, scissors, tape measure, etc. It cost $2!

5. Jen V. says:

Love it! Trying it soon….

6. Jennifer says:

What a clever idea!

7. Linda says:

I figured out that the straws from Wendy’s slide over the end of my top whorl spindle quite nicely, so I can slide the entire cop off and store the yarn on the straw until I’m ready to ply. The straws fit in my shoebox lazy kate so I can ply right off of them. They don’t charge for the straws, but if you count the cost of eating lunch there it’s about $3.

8. Brandi says:

Very cute idea. I use a dishpan and mesh bag for small amounts. The bathub for larger amounts of fleece.

9. Esther says:

Actually, my colandar and bowl cost nothing.

A friend trash picked them!

I made a knitty noddy out of the safer sort of pvc and plumbing stuff for $5 from the hardware store.

10. Anonymous, too says:

I have sensitive skin and allergies. About once every year or two, my scalp will start reacting to whatever shampoo I’ve been using.

But, hope springs eternal . . .and after 9 to 12 months without problems, I’ll start stocking up on the shampoo when it’s on sale.

So I often have a bottle or more (sometimes, the ginormous warehouse-club-sized bottles) of a shampoo I can no longer use.

Even if I can’t find someone to gift with the shampoo, I can usually find 2 or 3 relatives or friends to help me use it up by using it to wash excessively soiled fleece, yarn, or garments!

As long as it is not one of those “conditioning” or “shampoo-and-conditioner-in-one” shampoos, human (or pet) shampoo will often do a good job of degreasing and cleaning all but the very nastiest fleece, etc., without damaging it.