Knitter and Doctor Who Fan Lisa Pinedo, made herself a really rather nice Bigger on the Inside shawl recently. And that shawl went on to very big things.

Lovely!

I’ll let Lisa tell the story herself…

“I originally made this for myself to wear to San Diego Comic-Con 2012. But while I was there, in line for the ticket drawing for the Doctor Who signing, and realized there was a chance I might actually MEET them, I made a spur of the moment decision to give the shawl to Karen Gillan as a going away present if I drew a winning ticket. I didn’t draw one :( but my friend did!

I gave him the shawl to pass along while I waited in the front of the crowd watching the signing. When he got up to the table he gave her the shawl and pointed me out. I got a big smile and wave from both her and Arthur Darvill (I couldn’t see Matt Smith from my angle). One of the volunteers that was working the signing snapped a picture of Karen in the shawl with my friend’s camera.”

Wow!

“I gotta say, it was a little tough parting with my shawl, but at least I can always make another one.”

Yes, that’s right. That’s Karen Gillan, the actor who plays Amy Pond, wearing the shawl. On behalf of all Doctor Who fans everywhere – and especially me – a massive thank you for making such a cool moment happen.

34 Responses to Best KnittySpotting Ever?

1. Lisa says:

That is so cool! And what a nice shawl too. :)

2. KraftyKwai says:

That is so awesome that she wore the shawl when you gifted to her. So many times you see celebs say thank you and hand it off to someone. One more reason to enjoy the show even more. You are so gracious to have given the shawl, but now you have a pic and a memory of this forever. :D

3. Bonnie says:

Whoa. That is a fantastic story.

4. Lisa P says:

I still can’t believe it actually happened, and then to have it written about in Knitty…my mind is blown :D

None of it would have been possible if I didn’t have such an incredible pattern in the first place. I can’t wait to cast on a second one (that I’m keeping!). Thank you so much and YOU ROCK!

5. Knit4love says:

Indeed what a wonderful moment for a designer!

6. jenn says:

oh MAN! this made my day in a way you can’t believe! love it when geeky loves cross.

7. RogueTess says:

Lisa P, your story gave me shivers, the good kind! I was at ComicCon, too, and got to meet John Barrowman,mthe delicious Capt. Jack Harkness. My picture is with him and his sister Carole and I’m wearing my 4th Doctor scarf. BTW people asked to have their picture taken with me and my scarf. Yay, Whovians!

• Lisa P says:

I briefly saw John Barrowman at the tail end of his book signing at the booth. I was able to take a couple pics of him, but none with him :(

8. Kathleen says:

Love this story! I was working diligently on this pattern in red (Inspector Space-Time version) throughout the con. Yay you, and yay Karen!

9. Cyprienne says:

!!!!!!! I’m dying, I just died. BEST THING EVER.

10. Kristy says:

That’s amazing! So generous, Lisa, and really wonderful that Karen Gillan appreciated the gift.

11. Mary Aycock says:

I am so proud of my daughter, Lisa…and the fact that she is SO giving! What a treasured moment!! YAY!!!

Those are some beautiful photos and the shawl looks terrific. I’ll have to make a more masculine version or make a daleks for a friend for the holidays.

13. brandi says:

Such a great experience it warmed my heart.

14. dclulu says:

Wow! That is so awesome.

15. Christina says:

I’m not a giant Doctor Who fan but that might just be the coolest story ever.

16. AmyS says:

That is truly awesome!

17. Miss Bunt says:

I’m totally geeking out for you!! A very generous gift!

18. bySarah says:

Lisa, you are awesome!!

19. Amy says:

That is Who-mazing!
    I’m in the process of picking the ideal Tardis blue to cast-on my own scarf (even though I live in Florida where we don’t wear too many scarves!). I was SO excited when I saw the pattern & was thrilled to realize there are others like me who are happy to show off our love for everything Dr. Who in adorkable ways!
    I think I would have lost my mind to have met Karen Gillan, Matt Smith or John Barrowman! Congrats on the amazing story & to have a photograph to memorialize it is a beautiful thing!!

20. Brígida says:

nice article. i am a huge fan of your work and i’m always coming here to see what’s new. thanks.http://www.maladiretasegmentada.com.br

21. Dwight says:

Thanks for the concepts you have discussed here. Also, I believe there are some factors which will keep your automobile insurance premium down. One is, to contemplate buying automobiles that are within the good set of car insurance firms. Cars that happen to be expensive tend to be more at risk of being stolen. Aside from that insurance policies are also using the value of your car, so the higher in price it is, then higher the premium you pay.

22. Claudine says:

i must say the links are very useful.http://www.casaemail.com.br

23. Daniele says:

hi, great post. i really admire your work and ihttp://www.maladiretasegmentada.com.br

24. Bridal Gowns says:

25. I also need to buy a dress’s a I Purchase of high quality wedding, your content, I really like post.

26. Edney says:

great articles, i hope you keep posting these nice and good examples.http://www.boliche.com.br/email.htm

27. Claudina says:

thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. i am appreciating it very much!http://www.boliche.com.br/email.htm

28. Barbie says:

useful post and i think it is rather easy to see from the other comments as well that this post is well written and useful.http://www.divulgaemail.com