I thoroughly sorted through my huge pile of handspun limiting myself to things I am excited about knitting with right now.

One basketful, thankyouverymuch.

Then I got the knitting spinner’s paralysis, “If I use it, it will be gone.” “What if I make the wrong thing with it?” etc, etc.

Then my daughter came to my recuse yesterday. The teen proclaims, ” I want several slouchy hats for this fall.” Then reaches into my basket of precious handspun and says, “I like these”, choosing 3 singles yarns.

Spunky Eclectic BFL, my own dyed BFL, CJKoho BFL

When any teenager asks you to knit, you know the window of opportunity is short. I quickly flipped through my stitch dictionaries and have a swatching plan. School starts on September 4 and she’d, “really, really, really, I love you mommy” like them by then.

On my mark, get set, go!

17 Responses to Spinning Tuesays: Planning for Handspun Knitting (with a teenager imposed deadline)

1. Lael says:

What a good mother you are to use hand spun for your teenager’s hats. The yarns are beautiful. I can see why she picked them but she probably doesn’t appreciate the work that went into them.

2. Lael says:

What a good mother to use you beautiful hand spun on your daughter’s hats.

3. Tamsin says:

Please be my mommy too?

4. Diane says:

At least she chose hats!

5. Eleanor says:

Gorgeous colors! Lucky you don’t live in Florida – school started yesterday!

I love it when someone both appreciates the effort that goes into something and expresses a desire for a knitted item.

I’ve gotten the second half of the equation before, though usually with a lack of appreciation first. Don’t ask. It still irks me.

7. Monica says:

Too funny. I guess that is how you make things happen when your age ends in “teen”. I cannot wait to see the finished objects! Good luck with the deadline.

8. Aimee says:

It’s the same as when my brother/husband/dad, any man in my family really, asks for something. I wish it would happen more often.

9. Michele Mountain says:

Having your teenage daughter ask you to knit something for her is one of the best feelings in the world (my daughter asked me for a sweater just last week. Squee!) I’m sure yours will love her new hats!

10. Allison says:

Good luck! It is always wonderful when a loved one desires your hard work.

11. Marg says:

It’s so hard to be a knitter with a family that rarely wants you to knit for them! I know what you mean that if they ask for something, you gotta jump on that right away – especially teens. She doesn’t know how lucky she is :)

12. Caroline says:

How awesome that she not only asks you to knit for her but also picks her favorite yarns. Makes it so much easier than second-guessing somebody’s color choices. And she’ll love those hats for sure. I hope you’ll share before she goes off with them…

13. brandi says:

I wish you luck. :)

14. Niki says:

Lucky you! A teenager who communicates is a treasure, however fleeting. I’m sure she’ll love the hats, and probably come back with a request from her friends for you to make more. The yarn is beautiful, and perfect for hat projects. Looking forward to seeing the finished works.

15. Lisha Collins says:

Fab!

16. Ann says:

Knit quick! I am anxious to see what you do with those lovely singles.