Your family goes on a 10 hour road trip and you try to take your wheel. Well, not just take it along, but try to take it to spin on while tooling down the road. Please don’t tell me you haven’t at least thought about it.

Sidekick in the front seat

My Sidekick is my smallest wheel. It didn’t fit in the front.

Sidekick back seat

Or the the back. Of course, now I have another reason to want a Pocket Wheel or a Hansen Mini Spinner.

Spindle!

Thank goodness for spindles!

A portable drying rack

Dashboards make wonderful drying racks.

Do you spin in the car? What do you use?

Happy trails on all of your late summer travels!

19 Responses to Spinning Tuesdays: You Know You Are a Spinner When….

1. Elizabeth Grammas says:

You know you are a spinner when you are doing the dishes and the smell of Dawn reminds you of washing fleeces, which makes you happy, which makes you hope there is Dawn in heaven.

2. Em says:

I use my trusty spindles. With the fluff in reticule on my wrist, I can spin while walking around, too :)

3. Diane says:

I did spin all the way to Maine and back on a bus. I had 2 seats and a Hitchhiker. I sat slightly sideways and used a single treadle. My Hitchhiker can have one or two treadles.

4. Denny has spun while driving. says:

When my hubby had a pick up truck with a cab in the back, I could slip the front seat back and spin on my Litte Gem ( Maja Craft).
    So you don’t need a new wheel. You need a truck. Also don’t spin angora in a truck. I don’t drive cars, I just drive people mad!

5. Shanzi says:

You can’t seem to get your hair clean after a long, sweaty day at work, and you see the bottle of blue Dawn on the counter, and start to wonder, because if it works on fleeces….

6. Chris says:

Yes! Spun across the USA during Tour de Fleece this year. Much easier than knitting to start & stop as kids need things. I use my spindles.

7. Sarah says:

I use my Spindolyn in the car to spin on road trips. I find my wheel to bulky to take along some times, so on trips the Spindolyn is my favourite to spin.

8. Rachel says:

My favorite type of car spinning is on a supported spindle. I do have to be careful not to whack the driver in the head while drafting, though.

9. Christy says:

You know you’re a spinner when you pick up a lovely laceweight yarn at the LYS and your son says “but Mommy, it’s cheating if you don’t spin it”.

10. Meg says:

I took my Ashford Traveller from Green River, UT to Tacoma,Washington,with a 6 hour layover in Davis, CA, on the train. My then 11-yr old son was mortified, but we had a great time in the observation car the whole way. And you know what? No one said “Boo” when I stretched out my nap pad and layed down next to my wheel. Who needs coach? I’ll take the spinning section, thank you very much.

11. adriene says:

LOL Christy! Spindles are my ultimate travel companion: they keep me busy and make stuff to keep me busy later!

12. brandi says:

I’ve tried spinning in the car but motion sickness stopped me. I will however knit something in garter stitch (washcloths). That’s about the extent of what I can do.

13. Michelle says:

Yes, I spin in the car with my Jenkins Turkish spindles. I have a Hansen miniSpinner (and would highly recommend them!!!), but have not taken a long road trip since getting it. A friend of mine got one and took it on the road this summer during TdF and said it worked great, though.

14. Diane says:

For those of you (including me) who can get carsick…I take a non-drowsy Dramamine when we start out on a trip.

15. Emma Gerring says:

I with you, spindles all the way! Although, for a 10 hour, I’d get my mini spinner out, for REAL production whilst on the road!

16. Char Haas says:

have you seen the Hitchhiker wheels? designed to fit under the dash….. http://www.themerlintree.com/the_merlin_tree009.htm

17. egrace says:

Spinning on the train works better for me than spinning in the card. I can get car-sick too. But I keep thinking – There’s GOT to be a way!!

with you in that.