The view from my wheel, don't judge.

The view from my wheel, don’t judge.

Happy New Year to all of the spinners!

I hope everyone had a joyous and restful holiday season. My family and I were world-class relaxers, it was fantastic.

What’s on your list for the new year spinning-wise?

I have three things. I like three, it always seems doable. Plus, with only three I have to really give it thought.

Jillian’s 2013 Spinning Goals:

1. That nagging handspun sweater. I have one sweater’s worth of yarn spun and almost a second sweater’s worth. Now I need to knit! I’m going to get some help from Ann Budd’s Handy Top-Down Sweater Book.
  2. Organize stash. Holy cats my stash is out of control! It’s become a huge jumble of fiber, most of it piled on top of empty containers. Even if I tame it back to something very basic like: to dye, to card into batts, to blend and to spin as is – I’ll be happy. I might throw, organize spinning equipment, in there too.
  3. Teach/write more. I want to write and teach more about how I spin with knitting in mind. So far, I’ve sent class proposals to Rhinebeck and I’m starting a new column in Knittyspin in the next issue.

Simple, yet challenging, all in one three point package!

What will you be spinning this year?

14 Responses to Spinning Tuesdays: Happy New Year! What’s on Your List?

1. I have a new to me spinning wheel that looks very unique that I’m trying to figure out how to use and ply with.

My goal is to be able to use it well.

2. Austin Val says:

To SPIN! I have all the parts (wheel, fiber, etc.) but realized last year that the missing part was me! So I am starting at square one, but I won’t still be on square one on 12/31/13.

3. *Learn* to spin – took my first lesson yesterday – loved it!

4. Rebecca says:

Spin from my stash! Learn how to use the hand cards I picked up secondhand. Also, finish some in-progress spinning projects. If this goes according to plan, I should be in a good place to knit my first handspun sweater!

5. Rea says:

1. how can we judge when most of us were doing exactly the same thing?

2. world class relaxers – the world needs more of them and

3. I took the Craftsy class that Felicia Lo taught and finally learned what fractal spinning was! Now I want to do it. That’s this year’s spinning goal.

6. I found a local person who teaches spinning, and I’m on her list for the next time she organizes a class. I want to spin a sweater’s worth of yarn and actually have the sweater started by year’s end.

7. Meg says:

Today, because my washer machine is not spinning, I have chosen to not spin in solidarity. And I have torn into the infirm machine and found that I don’t have the right tools. Maytag man will come on Thursday. UGH!!!

8. Maureen says:

Learn to use my Hansen miniSpinner, which arrives tomorrow! But I will not ignore my Matchless, and I feel kind of guilty about having two spinners. I want to spin softer yarn before I try to spin enough for a sweater.

9. Nancy says:

On wednesday, jan. 9, at 3pm, on http://www.pcntv.com, the annual Penn. Farm Show will broadcast the “sheep to shawl” contest live from Harrisburg, PA. It is such a pleasure to watch many teams compete spinning to weaving a shawl right in front of your eyes. A true example of how spinners and weavers are true artists!

10. DeDe says:

Can I just tell you how much it helps me to know there are others who spin and have not knit *that* sweater… yet. Thanks for that!! My goal for spinning this year is to attack the stash. :D

11. melissa says:

I want to learn to spin woolen…so I am hoping that one of your Rhinebeck classes will be about that!

12. Su1282 says:

The first sweater you make from handspun doesn’t have to be (and probably shouldn’t be) the best one you ever make. I finished mine in 2012. Mr Greenjeans would be great in handspun. just saying.

13. Susan says:

I want stop being a seat-of-the-pants spinner, and decide what yarn I want from a particular fiber before I start spinning. This really means I want to have a project in mind for the fiber. Kind of spinning with a purpose, not ‘just because.’

Not that there’s anything wrong with that …

14. Karrie says:

Is this the year of the sweater spin?! I think it is. I’m pretty new to spinning so this may be a lofty goal but I’d like to spin a desired weight for a desired sweater. So my first step will be to try and spin for a chosen weight if I can get it then onto a sweater. Ill be watching for future columns and classes. Thanks!