I fell in love with Spunky Eclectic’s Pomegranate Martini colorway the first time I saw it. I didn’t order it then. But I few weeks ago the color came back around on her site and this time it was dyed on mixed BFL. Yowza! Even more gorgeous! I ordered a pound, thinking maybe a big shawl or bunches of little things.

Then the fiber came and it was even prettier in person. The day the fiber came was a day that I had a few spinners at my house and every one of them fell for the colorway too. That pushed me over the edge to order another pound so I would have a sweater quantity. The spinners wanted some too and we ended up ordering 5 pounds total.

Pom Martini Fiber

Pom Martini Fiber

I’ve been doing a little spinning and swatching, just stockinette. I thought it would be a slam dunk, my usual sliding woolen spin either 2 or 3 ply.

Woolen spun, 2 ply and 3 ply

Woolen spun, 2 ply and 3 ply

But there was something not quite right to my eye with the woolen. The yarn was too fat, but that’s easy to fix. There was something in how the color looked, a little softer than I wanted, even with extra ply twist. I wanted a smoother crisper look to the color. So I did another pair of samples, worsted spun 2 and 3 ply.

pom martini 3 ply

Worsted spun, 2 ply and 3 ply

Here they are all together worsted on the top, woolen on the bottom, 2 ply left, 3 ply right.

2+3 ply

All together now!

To me the worsted spun looks just right. I like the 3 ply, the colors are more blended, the two ply in bother sets has slight striping which I don’t want with this yarn, or maybe I do.

What do you think?

13 Responses to Jillian’s Spinning: Sampling for a Sweater

1. Savannagal says:

It’s hard to see up close, even after clicking on the photos so I’m going mostly by color. I prefer the way the 2 ply worsted looks best. Though I usually prefer more than 2 plies. Just my 2 cents.

2. Jenn says:

I like the 3-ply worsted, though that might just be that I love the block of lovely deep purple at the bottom of the swatch.

3. Kate J says:

And what do I know about knitting? But I love both the worsted…maybe even the 2 ply better.

4. Krista says:

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous!
    I favor the woolen spun 3ply. That would make a very cozy poncho. Forget the sweater, imagine youself in the poncho riding you bike on a smooth path parallel a thawing lake, with bread in the front basket, heading home to make a tuna melt with broccoli cheddar bacon soup. cast on soon!

5. lilirious says:

I think the worsted 3-ply is amazing :)

6. Lynn says:

I think I need 5 pounds of that colorway. And a pom martini or 12 to spin it with.

7. susan says:

I like the 2 ply, but them I like striping/marbling affects!

8. I prefer the 2-ply but it really depends on the sweater you’re going to knit. Both plies are lovely.

9. Amy Boogie says:

As much as my heart lives in a woolen world….I’m voted worsted on this one.

Your samples are gorgeous and your swatches make my heart race with glee!

10. Kate Mc says:

I like the three ply worsted. I like the firm lines it seems to be creating. Very beautiful!

11. Cathy says:

Yes I would have to say for me the 3-ply worsted, I do enjoy the boldness of the gem tones.

12. Janice Mosley says:

Don’t be fooled by how the colors look in your swatches. Remember that your sweater will most likely be many more stitches wide than your swatch. It will likely be much more variegated. I’d go by how each swatch feels and how the stitches themselves look. The color flow will definitely change.

13. Karrie says:

That fibre is so yummy all the swatches look great to me. So if you are going for a sweater go with the one that makes your heart sing and that you will get enough yardage from.