World Wide Knit in Public Day has become a phenomenon since it was launched in 2005, by Danielle Landes. So much so, in fact, that the event now runs over a full week!
WWKIP began as a way to bring knitters together, out of the closet and into fresh air. Although knitters have been gathering together for many years – in each other’s homes and in stores, on “stitch nights”, and at events and retreats – but it’s usually knitters among knitters. The purpose of the day is to bring knitters out into public, amongst the “muggles”. WWKIP events often include knit-ins at parks and sporting events and shopping malls.
Although there are many of us who are quite used to knitting in public – those of use who ride public transport, those of us who enjoy the relaxation of a few minutes knitting over our lunch breaks at work, those of us who like to keep our hands occupied while attending the kids’ sporting events, dance practices, playtime at the park – there are many knitters who tend to indulge only at home. We’d like to encourage those knitters to show off their knitterly pride to the world. Don’t be shy about taking your work out with you. After all, knitting is a more social activity than reading, as you can take in the world around you and engage in conversation while at the needles. (Well, unless you’re working on a particularly engaging or challenging project, of course.)
For a list of events, consult the Ravelry forum, and check with stores and guilds in your area.
A few ideas:
- Sunday June 9th, there will be an event in High Park in Toronto.
- The Purple Purl in Toronto will be taking over a local park, Saturday June 8th.
- Shall We Knit in Waterloo is running a wedding shower for friend of Knitty, Kim of indigodragonfly yarns, Saturday June 15th.
- The Prescott, Arizona Knitters will be at the Farmer’s market on Saturday the 8th.
- Sunday June 9th, knitters in Taunton, Somerset, will gather at IMAGINE, DESIGN, CREATE.
- Knitters in Chicago will be gathering Saturday the 8th in Millennium Park, in the Boeing North Gallery.
- The Flowertown Knitting Guild in Summerville, SC is hosting two events, one on the 8th, one on the 9th.
- Black Hills Fiber Arts Guild will be hosting a WWNIP event on June 11, 2013, from 4-7 pm at the Main Street Square in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- The Northern Lights Valley Knitters guild will be knitting in public at Newcomb Park in Wasilla, Alaska Saturday, June 15 from 1 to 3 pm.
- Knitters in Washington state are invited to gather June 8th at Bookend Coffee Company inside the Everett Public Library. 2702 Hoyt Ave Everett Wa from 10am to 5pm.
- Other Toronto events info can be found here.
Put info about your events in the comments below!