Sunshine. Sock knitting. And a very strong americano.

IMG_2429

The yarn is Paton’s Kroy, a criminally underappreciated sock yarn. It’s unbelievably hardwearing (my fave 75% wool/25% nylon blend), machine washes and dries beautifully, and great to knit with. And it’s easily found at mainstream craft and yarn stores, and the price point is terrific. ┬áThere are also excellent colors. I’m making a pair of manly socks, so the colorway is manly, but there are some great brights available, too. My only grumble about the yarn is that the ball band recommends a larger needle than sensible – I use my usual US 1.5/2.5mm. Anything in the US 0-2 (2mm-2.75mm) would be great.

The coffee is an americano - two shots of espresso with a bit of hot water on top to make it a longer drink — from Cafe Unwind. I take my coffee black, and an americano is a full-bodied and flavourful drink, dark and a little bit bitter. Cafe Unwind is a little coffee shop across the park from where we live, and it’s a regular stop on our dog walks. The coffee is excellent, and the baked goods (a different muffin everyday!) outstanding.

9 Responses to Things that Make Kate Happy

1. Gwyn says:

Paton’s Kroy is absolutely underappreciated! It’s my go to when I just want a plain sock to stick in my purse. I have a rather embarrassing collection of it hanging around from whenever I have a Joann’s coupon.

2. Diana says:

Agree totally with you on Paton’s Kroy. My socks knit out of this wool never wear through. As for the coffee … I’m always slightly embarrassed by the amount of milk and sugar I put in mine. Wish I could drink it black but it tastes like battery acid no matter how many times I try.

3. I agree about the Kroy, too! My husband wears his socks year round, rain or shine, +30 or -30. He’s hard on his socks, but loves handknit so much that as soon as I started giving him socks he tossed his storebought socks. Even on his funny, bumpy feet and hard-wearing lifestyle, the Kroy holds up beautifully.

I like the ones I knit for me, too. There’s a sensible feeling to them – like they know I’m counting on them.

The striped yarns they make are pretty addictive.

4. Shelly says:

I really do love Kroy Sock. I can get it at a competitive price at the Spinrite Tent Sale. Plus it’s such a forgiving yarn for my young adult sons who love handknit socks but don’t take time with their laundry!

5. Rhonda says:

So glad to hear the positive feedback on Kroy Sock yarn. I knit a pair as a gift so do not know how they are wearing.

I am on medical leave and would love to crank out a pair or two of socks for the husband. Had a fail last year with Knit Picks worsted superwash that felted after knitting him socks! UGH

Just had a major fail with Lion Brand Sock Ease that was itchy to knit and even itchier to wear (http://fiberjewels.blogspot.com/2013/10/if-it-itches-while-knitting.html)

I think I need to dig out my kroy and see what manly colors I have for my honey! THANKS

6. barb says:

I also love Kroy sock and have knit several well loved and hard wering pairs from it. It’s under-appreciated, for sure! I love the previous comment – it’s a sensible yarn!

7. Nita says:

oh, happy sigh….:)

8. Diane says:

Your picture is a perfect one of happy contentment!

9. Ellen says:

Wearing a pair of Kroy socks right now. Just wish they could get it together with the colour schemes, a few are fabulous but many go under the heading of “really? that’s the best you can come up with?” I agree it’s a great hardwearing sock yarn.