You may have noticed that I love to learn new things.

I never know what’s going to set me off, something in a class, something I’ve read or saw someone else do.

My latest fibery pursuit, embroidery, started with a spinning class with Sarah Swett in May. They I discovered Rebecca Ringquist and her beginning sampler class on CreativeBug.

But I do know when a new interest is going to stick and become part of my life for a bit.

It’s not the new stuff, though I love accumulating and researching tools and supplies.

Here’s my embroidery stash:

Lots of embroidery supplies can fit in a small space.

Lots of embroidery supplies can fit in a small space.

It’s the books.

Not just books from the library, though it always starts that way. Then I buy the most popular and interesting looking ones for my library.

I know I’m going to be doing whatever my new thing is for more than just a short time when I start buying older and out of print books. Older craft books tend to be more focused on techniques than projects and that is exactly what I want when I’m learning something new.

Here are my first embroidery acquisitions:

My (so far) modest stash of out of print embroidery books.

My (so far) modest stash of out of print embroidery books.

And I have a book coming from England any time now, publication date? 1901.

Art in Needlework by Lewis F. Day

Art in Needlework by Lewis F. Day

How do you know when a new obsession or interest will become part of your life?

13 Responses to Jillian’s Obsession Thursday: How I Know a New Thing Is Going to Stick

1. Liz in Missouri says:

You should look for books by Elsa Williams. She was very popular in the 80’s and her work was phenominal. She promoted classic needlework – embroidery and needlepoint, that is/was amazingly beautiful.

2. Lisa says:

You know it when a) you start collecting books about it
    b) you make a little shrine/desk/workplace in your house for it and c) you would rather practice your new obsession than clean house, feed kids, or even feed yourself! THat’s how it was for me when I began knitting.

3. Christine Flowers says:

Elsa’s crewel designs were phenomenal! My mom and I bought our kits from The Stitchery (still in business) and she still has many of the pillows we did back in the 70’s. She’s now 85 (my mom).

I loved counted cross stitch for years, and then advanced to linen work, pulled work, red work, black work, tatting, weaving, spinning, knitting, hooking, sewing… oh! how the list goes on!! :)

4. Julie (O-kami) says:

Love your embroidery gear. I do counted cross stich and have a ton of projects that I should complete. I love those gear bags, where did you find them?

5. Claudia says:

So I immediately had to look up the Art in Needlework book, which can be found in a reprint although I like the aesthetics of the original much better. However, I am also an enabler and thought you might be interested in this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Progressive-Lessons-in-the-Art-and-Practice-of-Needlework-For-Use-in-School-/360508388722?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item53eff97572

Progressive Lessons in the Art & Practice of Needlework for Use in School! 18-freaking-93!

As for my own, “how do I know it’s bad”? It starts with additional research and then the collection of books, blogs, and ephemera. Sometimes a new craft has to put in some time, waiting for my attention, but the seed has been planted.

6. Kathy says:

You should also look for books by Anita Shackelford. Her instructions are very clear. I took a class with her and bought a book years ago – it was the best embroidery class I’ve ever had!

7. Ellen says:

I have found this book to contain a wealth of stitches. You can spend hours looking through it, dreaming of the stitches.

8. Renee Cook says:

I know a new pursuit is going to stick around when I can actually finish a project and am looking forward to the next project. So far knitting and spinning are the only obsessions that have “stuck”.